What is it about Freelancer?

• Well, I first started off with "StarLancer", the first game released before "FreeLancer". I though that was an amazing game at the time, and you could even play it on MSN Gamezone also.

Then FreeLancer came out, I bought the game more or less, as soon as it hit the shelves (but more by pure accident really). As I didn't know at the time, it was a made by the same people who made StarLancer. But after reading the box, I realised it was and bought it ASAP.

Prior to all this, I was a big fan of the Egosoft game called: "X-Beyond The Frontier". And I'm even old enough to have played "Elite" when that first came out also. Geez, memories eh!

Anyway, on getting FreeLancer. I quickly got into playing the single player aspect of the game, and in some respects, I felt StarLancer was a little better than FreeLancer as a single player game. But looking back now, I'd say they were both about the same. Both very good!

Believe it or not, a year past after completing the single player aspect in FreeLancer, I never even gave any thought to the MP aspect of the game at all then. Until one day, I decided (when bored) to install the game again to play, this time round, I checked-out the MP side of the game and was instantly hooked.

WOW, this was the best, nothing else even came close to online gaming like Freelancer offered. For about 3 years I played FL online, the first year solid. I ran a clan called the "6th Pirates" for a while, and became good friends with some other members in the clan. Like DeadShot, Ash, Duce, and many others. We used Teamspeak for in-game chat (man it was great back then).

Sadly though, as with all games. Freelancer started to die as an online game. MS closed there servers and people playing the game dropped off. Over time, I to started to realise I'd played the game to death, and no longer was I hooked by it anymore. Those days were gone, never to return again.

Freelancer is the best online game ever, and I really wish the company who created would create a FL2 for the PC. But I agree with others, that it will never happen. I know the full story of what happened, and sadly FL is end of the saga.

For me (being a space gaming fan). It sad to see that, in all these years gone by. Nothing since has come along as a worthy sucessor to FreeLancer as an online space game. That offers anything like the kind of gameplay FL did.

I don't post as such about Freelancer anymore, but I came here on the off chance and read this post. And decided I wanted to add my little bit of Freelancer hsitory.

It was nice while it lasted, and Hi to you all here. Sadly, I've done all the mod thing, playing on different servers etc to prolong the game. Now though, only an FL2 could bring me back to the good old days.

So here's wishing for something, that we'll most likely never happen.

• Freelancer will never go away, no matter if you play it in the original game or mod it up. It's so versatile you can play it by yourself or with thousands of other Freelancer fans around the world. :D

I may have changed my computers (I'm a Mac convert going on two years), but I can still play my beloved Freelancer on either format.

The late great comedian Rudy Ray Moore once said, "Life's a party, and if it feels good baby, don't let the party die!" Long Live Freelancer! :mrgreen:

• I suppose it's one of those "ever-green" titles... at least for me.

I had freelancer for almost 4, maybe 5 years, and I already finished it many times... and plan to finish it many times more.

I can't really describe it, but this game is simply ultra-addictive. Whenever it's from this very detailed back story, or simply because you have so many possibilites to explore, fight, trade etc, in MP or SP.

There's always something to do in this game, something to get, something to find...

:mrgreen:

• Anybody mentioned Privateer and Righteous Fire yet? Or Privateer 2?

I really enjoyed P2 although a lot of people didn't, unf it came out at the very end of DOS when '95 was taking over the world, and what with all the bugs and dreadful marketing, it failed to make the impact it could have done. Pity cos I loved the FMV cutscenes and storyline, and the interface screens were beautiful.

Still play Priv now, the Gemini Gold remake though as my original Privateer floppies wore out years ago and a so-called "mate" nicked my EA Classics cd.

mrgtb -

I first started off with "StarLancer"

- I love StarLancer and still play that too, always preferred it to FL (joystick, better explosions, darker) and what with the gatling cannons and being able to easily mod it to turn off the shields, you can make it feel a lot grittier and more realistic.

kb -

You got a copy of Freelancer for 74 cents?

- I got one for the kid for a pound, i paid bl**dy £34-99 for my own when it came out! I also picked up a proper brand new boxed copy (no silly dvd case) of StarLancer from EB in the Rockefeller Centre for a dollar 99 when i just happened to be in New York (actually we wus shopping and Mrs Taw was buying clothes and perfume and jewellery and I got bored and wandered into EB and found SL for a rock bottom price) I also picked up two copies of WC: Prophecy from Woolies for a fiver, how good was that?

That a game is old and isn't commercially viable anymore doesn't mean that it can't retain a loyal fanbase - there's plenty of people modding FL and playing it online as you all well know, and just look at the WC CiC site, they have a very large community and keep the WC games alive even though there'll never ever be another (unless it's fan made) and there hasn't been an official release since Origin made WCP Secret Ops available for d/l ten years ago was it? (on bl**dy modem, it took days)

• Aheh, can I buy that SL set from you for $50? Plz? Nah J/K that was some kill you made right there.

Don't tell Locke what he can't do.
    And remember always to regenerate!

• Someone did do a remake of Privateer Gold! :o

As a matter of fact, I downloaded both the Mac and PC versions of it, and it's free, of course. Privateer 2 however is something different. If you have the Windows or MS-DOS game, there's a guy who has made a program to make P2 available for 98, ME, 2000, XP and Vista. Here's the link for P2:

originalthp.solsector.net/privateer2win95

...and this is the link for Privateer Gold:

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.priv.solsector.net">http://www.priv.solsector.net</a><!-- m -->

Sorry, I haven't seen anything on Righteous Fire.

;)

• An old buddy of mine e-mailed me and asked is there any way he can expand Freelancer. I tried not to howl like a maniac and replied that he should come to the Reactor (I provided him a link). He lives in Japan now with his wife and children, and the wife and daughter went ga-ga over Edison Trent (I dunno, it must be the blond hair, the leather jacket, being egged on by Hovis :lol:). Once they started playing Freelancer he said they couldn't stop. They looked all over Japan and they couldn't find a copy, only the old copy we bought together on a business trip to Osaka in 2003. I told him to go to Amazon.com and get them while it's still available.

If this isn't testimony that Freelancer has gone beyond Microsoft and Digital Anvil's expectations, I don't know what is.

Ganbate "Keep going" in Japanese. :ugeek:

• why do i keep comming back to freelancer??? for one i had a bad day simply start fl just blast anything i see,ask questions later,why do i shoot first??? cause i can :lol:

• Quote from "rasauul"

GET READY FOR MISSION 14!

UPCOMING SP MOD!

"TRENT THE MONKEY KING"

Ahah! Finally! xD

LOOOOOOL! :lol:

Can't wait for that mod!!

Freelancer Alpha 1 - 1...This is planet Lisbon, docking ring cleared! Good luck out there! =D

• I just downloaded Discovery 4.85, can't wait to start playing.
    4.83 was fantastic never tried 4.84, hope theres more bounty Hunters I hate those litlle buggers and love shooting them down, did 195 of them once in one evening, was on fire that night.

Have been playing Freelancer on and off since its release, hope they make a sequel someday, one of the best games I have, and I have more than the average kid at 33.

Keep blasting those Hunter Wieners, have a great one

• Here is my understanding :

Some people Men and Women have an affection for the Universe and it's creations within.
    It is a never ending black void with so many questions and no one has all the answers.
    It is truely pure and exciting.

A man named George Lucas had this same feeling and decided to share it with the World
    in a film called Star Wars. And there it began. (Now if we could just be in it)

The game Freelancer did alot more for people than the developers at that time knew.
    And i still dont think they know.................. The game Freelancer gave these special few
    people a chance to get inside that wonderfull world of Space and play around.
    You can start your journey as the make belive person you wanted. The game call's him
    Trent but we all know it is who ever we want him to be. And you continue your journey
    with a small set of rules and a big overwellming Map.

You can cross the Universe with hundreds of defferent space vehicales and take on many
    defferent professions. You make and save Money (credits). Go to new places some
    dangerious some profitable. It is truely a great fictional place to be.

So besides a great sci-fi paperback book , Freelancer has given hunreds of thousands of
    people a chance to jump in a tie fighter and go explore space with countless things to do.
    I do not know of anything else that comes close to doing that besides Freelancer.
    Unless you have the money to book a trip to Space through Virgin at there Spaceport
    in New Mexico , Freelancer is the way to go.
    So if your listening Bill Gates or some high dollar game publisher give these smart and
    intelligent people a great follow up to one of the greatest space games ever made
    FREELANCER. (Can you also release the rest of the game files so our great modders
    out there can keep us satisfied and in space. Thanks Bryan

• Freelancer is just a game that works due many factors.

People tried to copy it and failed because they couldn't capture the full mix of what made Freelancer so great.

You could land on planets even if it is just a simple cut scene it is a important fact to be able to do so.
    You could fast travel trough lanes leading to many places in the same system and/or fly to places on your own. the system where big and felt ever bigger due this. (Example darkstar one feels small!)
    You could go and buy different ships load outs for different way of piloting making a live in freelancer.
    You could explore and not easily get bored as they is much to see and find. I always loved the wrecks and their short descriptions :)
    Good story!

Just so many things that added up to a great game that was EASY to play. You didn't need to be a pro pilot to play freelancer this casual aspect aided a lot as well

But above all and everything it has multiplayer which creates communities which makes the game live on and on and on. why do we forget other games easy? Because once done with single player it is fn for a little wile and than soon gets boring and you put it on the shelf and forget.

Today I play many games and many mmo games as well, but freelancer will always remain dormant on my pc. And once in a wile other games start to bore you for some unknown reason and you just know it is freelancer calling you home.