What is it about Freelancer?

• Hi all. I been here for a very long time but just never registered as I really had nothing to add. I just lived in the Freelancer world years ago.
    Just rebuilt my computer and while looking for fun stuff to throw on, came across my old Freelancer disk.
    Eight hours later with red eyes I realized what a total captivating game this is and always has been. I cannot remember a game with this kind of long term uh, whats the word I am looking for? dunno.

Sure, once you finish the missions you are thrust into a kinda sad funk of not sure what to do or go...Guess you just gotta be creative. Just the world they created is hard to leave and what I do is create as many enemies I can.
    I would hope the design team someday gets together and continue with this awesome thing they created. I would like to try a mod or two, just not sure which way to go on that.

Add another Freelancer to the list.

• That's part of the beauty of Freelancer Mod Manager :D
    You don't have to pick just one, you can DL most of them and spend months (or years) exploring.
    Plus, lately a few mods have been bundling the graphics addon for GTA, which makes things look a bit different than outta the box. Some other recent community developments have opened up exciting new frontiers on the mod front as well, so they're getting more diverse too.

• Amen brother.

I have a handful of games that I can pick up after a year or so and say "Man, this game rocks!" even though I've played the crap out of it many times before.

I think we've all felt that sadness of finishing vanilla SP the first time. My advice on a mod? Discovery.

It keeps the feel you love while adding so much that you'll be a little overwhelmed when you first start exploring the new universe. It was the first real mod I threw myself into after beating SP.

The new version is v4.84. You should be able to get it at their website http://www.discoveryfl.com/.

I feel like a walking advertisement... :oops: Sorry, just wanted to nudge you in the direction of a nice continuation of FL enjoyment.

• Freelancers understand allright - I'm in the middle of ASGARD, played DISC4.83, got to get .84, waiting on SHATTERWORLDS, might go back to FREEWORLD, OMG what have I become!?!?!
    Still have time for the wife, BEER, and grilling... :roll:

"A little excitement in an otherwise dull day..."

• LOL my god i do hear you Brethern -- I just Finished Tekagi 5.42 Totally Awesome -- I am waiting for Crossfire 1.8 myself and would dearly love to try wts someday -- The Game is timeless its so easy to pick up again -- And what the modders have done is genius -- Tekagi was so seamless to play and huge to explore -- A great one to try is Frontier Space 1.75 by mace -- Huge and full of ships and equipment and places to explore --

Cotidie damnatur qui semper timet - The man who is constantly in fear is every day condemned. (Syrus)

• I'm still a Freelancer fan and I hope that it never goes away.

Right now I'm playing the Frontierspace mod of Freelancer, which I think should be the sequel to any Freelancer remake. The beauty of Freelancer is that you can go anywhere you want, do anything you want and play any role you wish (I even became a villain for a while, just to see how the other side lives).

Even when the original TLR was created I screamed in my posts let no one allow this game to die, Digital Anvil or no Digital Anvil. If a few dedicated fans were able to recreate Origin Systems "Privateer" just for the love of recreating the game, we in the Reactor can do the same. When my little girl is able to move (not drool :lol: ) over the mouse, I'm going to show her how to play it.

• I got to say that their is something about Freelancer that is captivating. Perhaps its the fact that you are pretty much free to live the way you want. I guess its freedom we like in our games?

A chance to choose how to play.

Or...

Is it that their is some real life ethos in Freelancer?
    Your action have consequence in Freelancer; much like real life.

Lets not let this game die folks. Lets not let this game die.

• Thought I should throw my 2 cents in. The biggest reason I love freelancer is because of how easy it is to mod. If it weren't for freelancer in fact, I would have never started on other games as well.

• If you think about it, there is no other (space)game to date where you have the freedom and looseness that Freelancer exudes. It's kinda hard to describe, but it's there........calling... I got it 3 years ago at a yardsale for 74 cents. I don't think my life has been the same since. LOL

Don't tell Locke what he can't do.
    And remember always to regenerate!

• Although DA and MS abandoned it, Freelancer still has a serious "cult" following
    as I knew it would.

My hats off to all the folks who managed to open it up that gave us
    the chance to explore all the goodies left behind to take advantage of.
    Sort of gave us a chance to breath that new breath of life
    and depth of realism in it.

I cannot say it's that easy to mod because you really have to know what
    you're doing.
    But HOLY SMOKES! The results of being creative and seeing the results
    is nothing less than breath-taking and thrilling.

4 Years and still playing. 2 years of modeling & modding.

• My first copy came Christmas '04. The wife could not find it and she knew I wanted it. She bought it used for $20. I was in awe then, and am so even more now due to the things Rankor has mentioned among others. This game is NOT FLEETING. It is rather FREELANCING, which may well continue for quite some time. Is this not about doing one's own thing? I think that it is, and that some genuine genius has become involved with the continuity of the FREELANCER community and the game itself. Let's keep what we all want on the FOREFRONT, and endeavor to support the evolution (no pun) of this fantastic escapist pursuit called Freelancer. I would just love to be playing this game 20 years from now and TRY to explain why it would still be a force to be reckoned with... :D
    Thanks folks.
    Lancerwarrior

"A little excitement in an otherwise dull day..."

• First time poster, old time lurker/mod devourer :)

I stumbled on Freelancer by accident in '03 or '04, something like that, and its always been in my game rotation but for the longest time I couldn't run it on my old PC. Quite frankly, I'm surprised it runs on my 2 yr old computer now, but now that I have better access, its an easy game to get into and keep playing. As long as you never upgrade your computer beyond its ability to run it :)

I still get sentimental over old games I can never run anymore and re-experience, and this game I'm sure will fall into that category like all those others when that time comes.

• Mmm, well, with people like you around, I don't see freelancer dying anywhere in the next 5 years. That's great. Oh, by the way, I wasn't dead on about the price (because I was so gleeful at the time, I must have missed it.) - it was 75 cents, not 74 :D It was a bit smelly from the "cheap" box it had been in, but it still had the paperback manual inside it (I'd kill for one of those these days) and there weren't any smudges on the data side. Guess those people didn't know how to handle something so great lol I should probably consider growing up and doing something with my life, but hey, that's kinda hard with stuff like this hanging around. alfa
    It was $50?!? I never saw it in stores, so I didn't know. If M$ doesn't do something in the next few years, I swear I'm going to assassinate someone.

• Yup. That might just about do it. I was thinking more along the lines of something slower and more painful. I think they actually started making an FL2 for Xbox, but it didn't go anywhere. Someone with skill should, like, hack their databases and take all the unused graphics/concepts associated with Freelancer. They'd hate that, because we'd actually be getting our money's worth.

• 360 to be exact. It was originally supposed to be one of the promo games that came out with it, and the story took place from the coalition side after the alliance left. At leasts that's what I've read. From the videos I've seen it was a huge improvement from Freelancer.

Garages that hold multiple ships. Actual sizing for everything instead of the BS kind of FL. Advanced physics. The list goes on...