FL DataStorm 4.2 (Map & Guide) full Installer released.

• Get ist here: <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://ds.fa-matz.de">http://ds.fa-matz.de</a><!-- m --> --> 4.x full installer.

This version should install in all systems up to vista.

Fixed in that version: It handles much more mods.

---> For beta testing install with full install and get additional beta here:

New in 4.1 R171:
    * More bigger mods supported.
    * Active mod in FLMM is shown in DS-Headline
    * In zoomed in maps every "Station" is shown "Infront"

* Some more bugs with bigger mods
    * Creates Singel-Player-Save-Folder if never saved a singleplayer game
    * Display active MOD-Names from FLMM
    * unique Database-Names for every FLMM-Mod-Combi
    * Button to delete database and reread ini-files from FL
    * Cyclic Infos about objects in zoomed in area

Send bugreports to <!-- e --><a href="mailto:se_hellfire@hotmail.com">se_hellfire@hotmail.com</a><!-- e -->

• how about a better protection against DS for mods

for some servers and communities such tools are pure poison since they spoil the fun and reveal quest targets
    result of such tools is that players find stuff without actually playing the game... they get bored ealier... they leave FL earlier

after all - exploration is part of the game (one of the biggest parts) and in todays very small FL community we dont really have the luxury to loose players because they have explored entire mods in a few mins by using a tool

the player should start to play the game again instead of cheating their way through it with the help of tools

sry holger

• Indeed, but seem like we don't have a way to stop those tools to peek our mod.

I was try to edit exe file, still can't to block some tools to peek my mod.

And now I was give up to edit exe or try to block those tools. :cry:

• So far i was able to block most tools on my mods... only FLE was not blocked yet (but i consider this just a matter of time)
    Dunno about this new DS version yet since ive not tested it (but i know that old versions cna be blocked eventhough its very complicated)

I guess ill see in a few weeks when i release Crossfire 1.8 if i can block all tools.

• Hope you can succeed, because like you say, if a mod can be use tools to find everything, then player will not interest this mod very soon.

• That thread was opened to post news about my work / tool / contribution.

There is still that "Spoiler Warning Page" configurable in any mod - to adress that problem. I suggest to use it.

• In all seriousness, Hellfire, is there a way for us to prevent your program from looking into our mods to the depth is presently does? I know you're trying to help the general FLer find all the things that trouble them, but, as the others have said, the secrets and surprises are put into our mods to keep people looking and interested. As soon as they are found, the secret isn't so special anymore.

If there was a way to create a program for us to prevent our "secrets" to be revealed,? I'm sure the modders who have already posted here, as well as myself, would be greatly appreciative.

As for the splash screen, if it wasn't so easily bypassed, it would be quite useful.

Anyways, i hope we can find some compromise between both groups, please realize I know you're trying to help. But please look at where we're coming from as developers, too.

Thanks,
    Sushi

• The only reason to hide something is:

you use a ship with same name and style as the common one - just not buyable cause its your "Admin Ship" with slightly better ship stats...

some peeps call that cheating!

• Quote from "HellFire"

The only reason to hide something is:

you use a ship with same name and style as the common one - just not buyable cause its your "Admin Ship" with slightly better ship stats...

some peeps call that cheating!

This doesn't even make sense or address my post, or the developer concerns, in any way. I've tried to approach you in a respectable manner, I'd appreciate the same level of decorum, too. Thanks.

• reason for us modders not wanting that players use this spoiler tool with our mods is roleplay and hundreds/sometimes thousands of hours we have spend developing new content that the players have to EXPLORE and our wish to keep players active in FL instead of getting them bored in a few hours and leaving the FL community
    Believe me almost every modder and server admin out there is thinking this way... we want to see the players playing again instead of spending their time with tools

Holger we both already have seen a lancer game dying... there is absolutly no need speeding up the death of the next one

• actually, only thing that can attract new or keep players active is good player interaction on particular server, a mod can either enhance or diminish that experience, and that is difference between good mod and average (or bad one),

not one hidden wreck with flashy loot in some remote system behind some minefield will keep player interested to long
    If someone wants to explore he wont use this tool, on the other hand if someone finds equipping his/hers ship not so much fun and wants to get strait into action it gives good workaround

• Quote from "misile jockey"

actually, only thing that can attract new or keep players active is good player interaction on particular server, a mod can either enhance or diminish that experience, and that is difference between good mod and average (or bad one),

not one hidden wreck with flashy loot in some remote system behind some minefield will keep player interested to long
    If someone wants to explore he wont use this tool, on the other hand if someone finds equipping his/hers ship not so much fun and wants to get strait into action it gives good workaround

Very good common ground statement MJ. I can see both angles of this and I hope ppl understand where this tool could be 'handy'. I also fully respect the the statements of Sushi and OP. Personally, almost like Christmas, I don't want to know...
    Thanks folks :)

&quot;A little excitement in an otherwise dull day...&quot;

• Quote from "misile jockey"

actually, only thing that can attract new or keep players active is good player interaction on particular server, a mod can either enhance or diminish that experience, and that is difference between good mod and average (or bad one),

Hey how you got into my mind and digged that out? Its exactly what i thought and never typed - cause my english suxx and I m too lazy *smile*

I actually play World of Worcraft. Everyone uses a addon named "Quest Helper" which shows where to go and what to do to finish most quests. Its correct that some "power level players" use it to finish quests real fast without reading the full quest-text and search on their own (But thats WHY the use it - and they have fun to level real fast). Other Players use it only on quests where they get *stuck* and *boring to search*. they have fun to search on their own AND having fun useing that tool when they get stuck.

DS adresses the same for Freelancer - I got hundrets of EMails saying: "Great Tool; thanks for that nice program; Its fun to use DS with FL for search systems you explored allready to look if you missed something; ds helped to get fast the needed ship / equipment to participate in pvp / clan-fights; ...

And just one or two EMails that talk about *hideing just some "special" things* in DS cause of RPG-Mods.

My result so far: DS is good the way it is. And I cant see the *need* to program a special "hide-tag".

• Quote from "Freeworlds_Sushi"

[This doesn't even make sense or address my post, or the developer concerns, in any way. I've tried to approach you in a respectable manner, I'd appreciate the same level of decorum, too. Thanks.

Hmmm sorry sushi - just readed your complete posts in here. And yes I will check if there is a *simple* solution.

Just give me some days pls..

• Quote from "HellFire"

Hmmm sorry sushi - just readed your complete posts in here. And yes I will check if there is a *simple* solution.

Just give me some days pls..

Thanks mate, that's all I'm asking for. Thanks for looking into it for us, I appreciate it.

• ok then
    as the wishes of the mod creators doesnt get even considered I will offer a service to protect mods against DS as soon the new Crossfire mod is released.

So every modder and server admin which wants to protect their work can contact me. If thats the only way the mod creators can assure that the players play the mod like it was designed then fine.

misile jockey
    the quality of a mod is not definied by the server community
    the majority of FL players does play the singleplayer and some of the best mods dont run well on servers due to their size and structure
    there are much more influences than you did mention that definies a good mod

• Isnt that easy to program a HIDE-Tag for DS - cause it´s useless it it works with comments like:

[SHIP] ;DSHIDE

--> this wont work with BINI-Format files.

There r 2 options:

1. a special [DSHIDE] Sektion with nicknames of not shown objects:
    [DSHIDE]
    nick = ship_xyz
    nick = station_abc

or

2. a tag in a nick causes the "hide" function like:
    nickname = myship_xyz_dshide

I think the option 2 is easyest to use - cause u can hide without filling a special table with names.

What U all think?