Folgore's EnbSeries Tutorial

• Part 1: Basics
    Stay tuned

You cannot copy, edit or past this tutorial on a different domain from The Lancers Reactor.org or the SWAT Portal. This is property of TLR.org now.

Welcome, class! Today we'll learn about what Enbseries is, what Enbseries does, who made Enbseries, and how can we use Enbseries. First off, you'll need the following tools, I won't bother to post links for all of them, since I think that you are capable enough to search for them in Google, savvy?

Quote from Post if you need help

If you are lost, or if you didn't understand something, raise your hand.

Tools Needed:
    - GIMP (Free) / Photoshop // For later use - We'll need to create a bitmap palette in Part 2
    - Resource Hacker / .dll/.exe editing application

Requirements:
    - Updated Graphical Drivers
    - Shader Model 2 capable GPU
    - Lots of patience
    - A bottle of beer on your desk
    - Sunglasses (Your retina will suffer after a while, trust me)

What is Enbseries? Enbseries is a graphical plugin created by Boris Vorontsov, a well known member on GTA related Forums because of his ENB mod. He developed this mod in order to refresh older games, and make them more graphically pleasant.

My version of EnbSeries that I ran when I still played on Discovery.

My version of EnbSeries that I ran when I still played on Discovery.

In Enbseries there are a lot of SSAO, AA or SAA filters out there that we can use, and that we can create, but I'll speak about this in another tutorial. I'll limit to tutorial to explain everything you need to know about the most fundamental of all files in order to make Enbseries run. Well.. Enbseries.ini of course! Lets see.

In this graphic above I'm showing you how does the .ini interacts with the DirectX library, conditioning the .dll to react in a certain way when the .exe is launched.

In short words:

1) You run the .exe
    2) The DirectX library is loaded
    3) Enbseries.ini defines how the library acts when the .exe is run

Enbseries.ini

How can you change the version of an EnbSeries pack that you have developed? Easy. Download Resource Hacker (here) and then open your DirectX library. On the lower 01 section, change the version info and save the changes. On the next tutorial I'll explain how you can create a convertor.ini to use DirectX9 libraries instead of DirectX8 libraries.

• Part 2
    Creating the Palette

Welcome back class, today we'll learn about how we can create ourselves a palette for color correction, if you don't know what color correction is, then please go back to part one and try to understand the basics of how everything interacts.

Now. Lets get started shall we?

To create a palette it is recommended to create it in a 3D modelling software, but since not everyone has the means to do so, I'll teach you how to create a palette with photographic editing software, like GIMP or Photoshop. I'll focus on GIMP, since it's FREE (get it here *). After that lets open it.

Starting a new project

1) Open GIMP, go to New Project, and make a 256x256 project. Link
    2) Add an Alpha Channel to your 256x256 project. Link
    3) Now go to your gradient tool, select Radial Mode ([u]set the colors on black and white before using it
    ), use the gradient tool, and drag a diagonal line from the upper left border to the lower right border.Link
    4) The result should be like this.

5) Save it as a .bmp (bitmap) image, coded at 24bit depth.

Done this, copy and past your file inside Freelancer/Exe, and now Color Correction will use the palette. Remember that some parameters will become inactive when the palette will be used.

• I was testing a 1920x1200 .bmp palette for Continuum. The overall result is awesome, but the FPS loss is ... well.. not so awesome. I'll need to fix that.

This is a comparison on the main menu of Continuum.

The comparison is made between the ENBSeries that comes along with Crossfire 1.82 and the Continuum one.

• Okay, maybe I just don't understand what the fuss is here with ENBSeries...
    Why would you want -everything- to have a blue tint?

It doesn't has a blue tint. That's the natural color of Freelancer, an unoptmizied version of ENBSeries can bring that yellow tint, caused by different refraction of the Bloom with the SSAO filter. Balancing these two parameters will make Freelancer a lot more visually pleasant. And no, I'm not saying that the Crossfire version of the ENBSeries (I don't recall what version it was) sucks, I just used it to make a comparison that that you could understand what happens when you use a 1920x1200 palette as a color corrector. In fact that palette does not work as a color corrector anymore, but as a contrast, light and SSAO palette.

• You need to remove some parts that aren't supported by Freelancer. You just need to tweak it accordingly. If you have Skype I can give you Boris Vorontsov's account ID: