Star Trek - Warp Speed Mod

• Ok its been just over a week since I lost my last mod BFO and decided to start a new one. So this is it, Star Trek - Warp Speed. The aim of my mod is to totally convert freelancer into a star trek space game. Iv always wondered how cool it would be to be able to fly the enterprise and equipt it with borg tech lol. Im still working on the whole storyline but I do have a few ideas and today I have finished my first picture. I really want to put it up on here but as I only have the one pic Im gona make myself wait so I can show more of how the game will look, and the pic is part of the intro anyways. I hope to get the first gallery up on facebook by the end of the month. Ill look forward to your comments and hope you like my ideas. This will be my first proper mod so its going to be the best I can do first time round. Im also working on a website for the mod and when I get a few systems done with ships in them Ill post a demo mod on their.

• Freelancer tends to build ingame menus, huds, navmaps etc from simple meshes, usually flat planes, in 3db or cmp format, with the texture mapped onto the plane.

Check out the folder \Freelancer\data\interface\neuronet\ and its sub folders, 3db's have textures in side them, cmp's use mat files or txm's.

You can open these with a utf editor, browse the contents and extract and import the images.

Another usefu folder to look at for custom branding your TC mod is \interface\intro\ for splash screens and front freelancerlogo.tga, which provides the 'freelancer' logo on the main menus for example.

AestheticDemon

Terror Trooper #666

Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day...
    Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life...

• I tried your link it didnt show a picture?? I used sum resource site and tried to fit them in the best I could? did you see a problem with it?? any advice is welcome

• The Territories are too spread out, "north-south" wise. I think you should not cover the entire galaxy but instead keep to the "main area" of Star Trek, the area in the middle of the "southern" half of the galaxy. Otherwise you'll have a lot of empty space, especially in the gamma and delta quadrant. To be precise, the Area of the Federation, the Romulan Empire, the Klingon Empire, the Cardassians and Bajorans, etc..
    You could use the top right corner to include Borg Space which extends well into the Alpha Quadrant, so you don't loose them.

Another thing I'm wondering about is: How do you want to explain the use of Jumpgates in the Star Trek universe?

• yeah this is something I have wondered too as obv in star trek you can just fly to each sector where as freelancer uses jumpgates to create a big universe in small parts so this one Im still working on. Im sure ill find sumthin around the online data base's that will give me an idea or find a download around that someone has made allowing it to seem bigger, who knows. Iv got plenty of time before I come to that tho.

As for the map yeah I can see your point its just not going to be easy keeping them all in a bunch as freelancers universe map isnt that big when it comes to putting lots of systems in different quadrants. with UFP, Klingon and Romulan being quite close together and the borg being so far away it is not easy on the freelancer map to make it look like the star trek galaxy. what I may end up doing is using a basic star map background and puting the quadrant names in, then spreding the systems around to fit the best I can with star treks info

• Ok according to wiki: Objects with the features similar to wormholes were featured in episodes of Star Trek: The Original Series, although the word wormhole was not used. The gateway featured in the episode The City on the Edge of Forever, for example, was a gateway through time that operates somewhat similar to a wormhole.

So what im thinking I might do is just use wormholes in the game to jump from 1 system to another and call them gateway through time holes.

• A wormhole was the main reason behind the Feds interest in the station DS9, remember...

Spinoff series, but still technically Star Trek Canon...

Also featured to a minor degree in Voyager.

AestheticDemon

Terror Trooper #666

Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day...
    Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life...

• yeah my trek knowledge is limited. I have watched the films, voyager and TNG but Im not a massive fan so most of my info will be coming from fan sites and wiki. I like the idea of safe warp areas but that would mean id have to remove any visual holes. is it pos to do that and could it be expanded to cover an area?

Thanx for the ideas ill keep looking at different ways of implementing jumps into the game.

• As for the gateway from the episode: "The City on the Edge of Forever":
    It not only transports people through space, but also through time, so I would not see it to fit as a means of interstellar transportation.

I think Bobs idea of "warp points" would work best, as Jumpholes, or Wormholes as they are known in Star Trek are scarce at best and mostly unstable, the Bajoran Wormhole to the Idran system (the only stable and safely usable one) being an artificial creation.

This entry defines a jump hole zone:

[zone]
    nickname = Zone_Br01_to_Br05_hole
    pos = -70427, 0, 26741
    shape = SPHERE
    size = 1000 <-- This is the number you're looking for. It defines the diameter of the area around the jump hole coordinates, wherein you can initiate transit.
    property_flags = 131072
    visit = 128
    sort = 99.500000

• Simple: You make an empty loadout:

[Loadout]
    nickname = jumphole_warpzone

(I think "jumphole" has to be at the beginning of the nickname in order for the loadout to show up when making the warpzones with FLE. If you dont use FLE, ignore this)

• Pretty much this is in line with what I did except I used jump holes exclusively. I covered all 4 quadrants of the Star Trek universe and have approx 200 ships from the shows and movies in it. Good luck on your endevour, doing Star Trek style can be a bit difficult especially since there isn't any real beam weapons (they can be simulated though).