More Than Disabled Cruise

• Quote from "0blivion"

Quite true, there are DpEngine0X hardpoints on stock models, however if you look a bit further there are also HpEngine0X hardpoints. I have made a ship that has destructible engines, however you replace them by repairing your ship and not buying new engines, if that's what you were getting at. Same principle, anyway, it costs money to fix. And, when some of the engines are destroyed, you don't lose max speed but you do accelerate slower. Not sure about maneuverability, whether you lose some of that or not, but considering that information is all in the same spot you probably do. And, if you do lose all your engines, you have no thrust and therefore stop, but you can still use engine kill and drift. If you don't kill your engine, then you stop as if you decreased your throttle to 0. You can still turn, but nothing else.

EDIT: Check that: just did a test, losing one engine when you have two or more does not affect speed, acceleration or maneuverability at all.

You're quite correct about it not affecting the speed, acceleration or
    manuverability. That's because there is an allowance for only "1" engine,
    regardless the number of exhaust ports. I guess the folks at DA wanted to
    keep it simple for us. (it's odd really, the engine01, engine02, etc, etc all feeds
    back to a single engine "entity" and has no relation to the # of exhaust ports
    although we lable the exhaust ports as "engine01, engine02, etc, etc)
    I imagine making allowances for more than one engine can become very
    complicated since various type ships are involved.

I didn't know that part about the engines being automatically replaced when
    you repaired the ship. (makes sense though)

• I actually wasn't 100% sure that the engines were replaced by repairing, but I just tested it with all my engines gone and I did indeed get my engines back when I repaired my ship. It actually wasn't hard to dock on a planet without engines and with only a thruster; just place your ship in between the two clamp things, hit dock and you're good. Didn't try docking on a station though, I'm sure that's more difficult.

Oh, Chazz, please do post a screenshot of this "box," it will definitely help those of us who are not entirely sure what exactly you are referring to.

• I've found that having more than one engine does not increase speed or maneuverability, but each mounted engine DOES consume power, thereby decreasing the amount of time you can use the <TAB> thrusters to maneuver.

• Quote from "Perry Rhofan"

I've found that having more than one engine does not increase speed or maneuverability, but each mounted engine DOES consume power, thereby decreasing the amount of time you can use the <TAB> thrusters to maneuver.

Uh, engines don't use thruster fuel. You could have 10 engine exhausts and your thruster will drain just as fast as if you only had one exhaust. Sorry, but I'm not sure where you're coming from. Engines, when they are set to use power, use the same power your weapons do.

Or were you talking about what happens when you put two separate engines on one ship, as in two equip = <shipname>_engine01 entries in the loadout file? If so then I have no idea what things that would do, or if it would even do anything. Pretty sure it wouldn't affect thrusters, though.

Dangit, I had something else, but I can't remember what it was...

• guys, this topic is dead again, its now the 25th october the last post was on the 1st september.
    Has the code for this been released yet?

(\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
    (&quot; )_(&quot; ) signature to help him gain world domination.

• Since I have no time nor really any interest in continuing this any more, I'll post what I have and call it good. It doesn't really work at all as far as I remember. Oh well, here it is anyway... the projectile has some semblance of an Ionic Current, but not much.

[attachment=0]<!-- ia0 -->ICED Prototype Mod.zip.flmod<!-- ia0 -->[/attachment]

• Stealing a line of code from the [ShieldGenerator] part of the ini's..

offline_rebuild_time = 45

Could that be used under the [Power] part or would it just ignore it?

• Quote from "Alfa Astrix"

Can you show me the code to where that is?

\DATA\EQUIPMENT\st_equip.ini

In any [ShieldGenerator] entry.

But I don't think that will be work.

• has anyone tried emailing the creaters of FL to see if we can connect the little black box (have them tell us where the code is)
    inside the ship to a secondary output one we could hit without destroying the hull?

When money speaks truth keeps silent
    When you do common things in an uncommon way you will command the attention of the world
    A gentle word opens the iron gate

• I think this will work: Goto the engines_equip.ini and to any engine you want. Now just change the power usage number. Try it out.

Xfire Username: byelogurov
    Xbox 360 Gametag: Ultra Sabreman

• Quote from "sabreman"

I think this will work: Goto the engines_equip.ini and to any engine you want. Now just change the power usage number. Try it out.

I tried that. After you ran out of power, the cruise isn't shut down. Instead you are still in cruise and your ship starts shaking heavily. You do fly slower.

• Quote from "Sethernis"

I tried that. After you ran out of power, the cruise isn't shut down. Instead you are still in cruise and your ship starts shaking heavily. You do fly slower.

ahhhhh,houston...... we have a problem

• Now I'm not very big on pep talks but come on people, there must be a way to do this. The freelancer community has broken down walls that were much higher and stronger then this before (take .ale editing for instance). As far as the ship shaking, that's because the power plant is constantly recharging. Just do this: make a power plant w/ no recharge rate and give your engines a high energy consumption. If all goes well, after a bit of flight your ship won't move. And one more though: the tractor beam effect is just that an effect. So shouldn't it have or be in an .ale file? And if it is, it should be easy enough to convert it into a weapon effect. Now I would try to do this, but I'm not an expert in .ale editing even by a long shot. Anyway if anyone gets any headway on this please post your progress here because it would be a shame to see an idea like this die off.

• Honestly, after reading through all the work that we've done, all that this would really take to create is hooking up an explosion - not the effect, but the actual damaging part of the explosion - to an energy weapon. And finding where the tractor beam effect is created and hooking that up to an energy weapon as well. Is it just me or is this simpler than it has become in our minds?

Quote from "sabreman"

Just do this: make a power plant w/ no recharge rate and give your engines a high energy consumption. If all goes well, after a bit of flight your ship won't move.

Slight problem, sabreman. We want this to be something that is only engaged when someone shoots a special weapon at a ship, we don't want to change regular flight at all. What you're suggesting here will cause someone to be able to fly for a certain amount of time after launch (equal to power_plant_capacity/engine_power_usage) and then stop, only able to use their thrusters to move. Unfortunately, that's not quite what Alfa had in mind when he created this thread.

• I'm not saying to use this w/ the actual mod, this is just a way to prove that disabling the power plant will stop you from moving if your engines require power to function.

• You don't have to make the game think it's a missile or torp to have an explosion , or add a 'motor' to it.

It's just a standard turret, fires like the blazes when you hold the rmb down, and YES they do damage, this gun def is ripped right off the quad flaks on one of the cruisers i've been working on, the assault cruiser has 18 of these, 4 barreled turrets, very very killy, the npc pilots take down whole fighter wings in seconds, firehose time...

Ok. solution is a custom power plant OR mod all the existing engines to change their power usage.

As for the engines...

The hpEngine?? and hpengineglow?? are just for the visual effects on the back of the ship, the ACTUAL engine itsself, is mounted on a virtual hardpoint

If no hardpoint is specified for an item of equipment it's deemed to be 'internal' and untargetable, but you can mount them on real hardpoints, use an existing one or make a new one. Of course then you have to specify a mesh, one with a sur file to use for the equipment so it can actually be seen and shot at, and hit.

AestheticDemon

Terror Trooper #666

Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day...
    Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life...